Romantasy Attempt

Today was a rough day. My back was hurting as soon as I woke up. Not a good start to the day when your body knows it's going to be in pain. So I spent the day angry and confused while keeping it to myself hoping that I wouldn't explode onto someone. I kept some of the madness down by handing out a humorous fairwell card for my supervisor. I seemed to be one of the only two people who got the joke. I thought it would be more funny but people don't seem to have a sense of humor. I'm at work and I feel the anger taking me on more and more. I pray, I plead, I give up and throw an internal tantrum. When am I going to grow up? I guess I got to the point that I marked my maturity with my job position. What would I be happy with, a desk job at an office? Is that what my mind is expecting? I always thought I would change once I became an adult but that never happened. I'm still me, still the same kid, just taller. I went home cursing God because I knew that he wouldn't have had an answer for me about whether or not I should take this class for Romantasy writing. And I came home angry and hungry ready to give up on everything. And then, this thought pops into my head. Not a warning or a reprisal from God, just a thought: you like romance in your stories. And it's true, I do. When I was in highschool, I feel in Love with a manga/anime called Naruto. In fact, the fanfictions are my go to for comfort food. I wasn't the only one in love with this series. Lots of other authors were enthralled by Naruto and his love interest, Hinata. Hinata was a ninja princess unwanted by her clan for being too weak. Naruto was a cursed child with a demon inside of him who was ignored by the rest of the village. It was heartbreaking to see such characters face such terrible odds. And yet, the story was full of gaps. The author and artist, Masashi Kishimoto, claimed he didn't know how to put certain romance and other arcs into his work, something the manga desperately needed. The anime filled in a few of the gaps and the fans took to the fanfiction websites to fill in the rest. To this day, Naruto commands a lead over all the other fanfics with four hundred thousand individual stories. The closet second, Inuyasha, is only at a hundred thousand. Naruto must have struck somebody's nerve because I wasn't the only one who was in love with Naruto's love story. That's the problem though, there wasn't a love story. Hinata and Naruto end up married at the end but there's little to no interaction between them. Yes, there's the anime and the movies but that doesn't compensate for a broken core story. So I think God reminded me that I do love romance in my stories and that this would be the perfect opportunity to learn about them. I'm thankful that God was kind enough to give me this revelation despite my anger. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Finishing The King in Yellow: The Prophets' Paradise

The Yellow Sign

Decadence Movement and Yellow